Saturday, September 10, 2011

Home Improvement Project #1: The Deck

It seems there is always something to be done around our place.  Josh would call them "arts and crafts" and therefore does not participate in these home improvement projects, shucks for me!  This last month I have been working on a lot.  I started with the deck.  We have a HUGE deck that is the top of three garages.  We only rent, but we have lived here almost 7 years now and boy has the deck been trashed.  I decided to paint it.  I found some paint in the garage that was actually used on the deck when it was first repainted 7 years ago when we moved in.  I started in the middle of the night (to be sly) and used a shoe brush.  I know that is pathetic, but my idea was just to do a patch, see how it turned out and then do more.  Well I ended up doing a quarter of the deck with the shoe brush and since it was the middle of the night I didn't notice that some dirt had got on the paint/shoe brush and started making dirt streaks in the paint.  For the next few weeks I would do a small patch at a time, with a hand paint brush.  Unfortunately I ran out of the garage paint I found, found some more garage paint that I continued with... which wasn't exactly the same color, and then ended up running out of that too.  SO I forked out the $16 for a gallon of exterior flat paint from Walmart and finally finished!  I do need to go back over the area where I started and the dirt streaks are BUT it looks soo much better out there now!  Of course I was really only able to paint when one or both of the girls were taking a nap, hence a simple project taking this working momma 2 weeks!  Charlotte was there to celebrate my achievement in her Jumpy Jumpy toy!

Left Side of deck... (Note Charlotte in the Jumpy Jumpy in the corner by the pools)

Right side of deck, still needs to be repainted in some areas but MUCH better than it was

My little Happy-to-watch Helper

Just a week since her surgery and just as sweet as ever!

1 comment: